Wednesday, January 17, 2007

WOW! Busy Day..

Mimi, Shelby and I went to the library over in Gainesville today. We wanted to find some more info on the solar system and Mimi was in need of some new reading material for her daily reading.

We decided to make a quick stop at Borders book store first to pick up a magazine (night sky - backyard astronomy for everyone) and we ended up being in there 2 and 1/2 HOURS! We had so much fun. I ended up spending way too much money but did get a wonderful new book for our science studies. It's "The Way The Universe Works". It has over 60 hands-on experiments and projects for Mimi to do that explains some the mysteries of space. Shows how to make radio waves and how the difference in density of planets are. One experiment shows how the greenhouse effect works. She is very excited about it.

Shelby bought a fantastic new cookbook with over 1000 recipes using only 3, 4 and 5 ingredients. Mimi bought the "Ultimate Encyclopedia of Horse Breeds and Horse Care", and her latest "Naruto" collectors magazine. I actually got out of there without buying a quilting or train magazine. Trucker-dad wanted to know what kind of fever I had. LOL!

Next we went over to 8th Avenue so Mimi could see the "Solar System Walk" It is an amazing display of how far apart the planets are. It is a 1 mile drive with no cross streets. Unfortunately, parking is almost non-existant and as the school was just letting out across the street traffic was horrible. Best to go see this during non-school hours.

Made it to the library finally and anybody who knows me well, knows I am completely at home there and literally have to be hounded by Mimi to leave. So she and Shelby went and found some books they wanted. I was quick to find the latest Mary Higgins Clark "Two Little Girls in Blue" I absolutely love her novels. Also checked out Carline Kennedy's "A Family of Poems" I want Mimi to start reading aloud and I thought poems would be a good place for her to start. She chose a couple of good chapter books. Believe it or not I only brought home 2 (GASP!) paperbacks this time so I imagine I will be making a trip again in the next week.

Had to take my "Teddy-Bear" back to the vet the other day. His allergies have flared up again so it's another steroid shot (boy he has the munchies now) and another round of antibiotics. Poor fellow gets to itching so bad. The vet said that she believes it may be an inhaled allergy and we may want to think about getting rid of the carpets in our home. I've been wanting hardwood floors anyway so this gives us a good reason to do it.

Well enough for now, got to finish putting together Mimi work packet for today. Have a good day all!

"In all things give thanks..." 1 Thess. 5:18

Kim

5 comments:

Shaylen said...

Glad you had fun in Gville and you only got 2 books at the library..are you sick??

Poor Bear...he has so many problems.

Tee/Tracy said...

I love books, too! :) And it's so great when your kids pick up that love of reading, too, isn't it?

Mrs. Darling said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I would have never found you otherwise! I too love the library. I jsut wish I could remember better when its time to take the books back. In spite of an online reminder I still rack up a fee everytime!

KimO said...

tee - I agree. I could give up all entertainment in my life except reading. I would be lost without a good book around! Thanks for commenting!

KimO said...

mrs. darling - I'm glad you found my blog. I'm lucky that our library doesn't have late fees. I would be so in debt with them if they did. Thanks for commenting