Thursday, March 17, 2011

Think before you speak!

Sticks and Stones may break my bones,
but words will never hurt me.

Do you remember that from childhood? How many times in your life have you had the words hurt worse than the physical? Unfortunately it happens that way. People don't realize the power of their words.

Try this: think back over your life and recall a time when something physical hurt you so bad that you can still remember the pain of it today. Now think back and recall something someone said to you or about you. Do you remember the pain of it? Isn't the pain of the words so much more hurtful. Do you think that the person who said it knows to this day how hurtful those words were or even care that they said them.

Have you ever said anything to anyone that may have caused the same pain? How many times have you just said something offhand without even realizing the scar it may be leaving on another soul.

I have personally had that happen to me where the other person had no idea the effect that the words would have. Now many years later I still feel the pain just as sharp as the moments that I heard them.

I truly believe that we are who we are by the events that have taken place in our lives and the power of words can be a major cause of who or what we turn out to be. Did the two remarks made to me effect me? Certainly or they would not still be with me to this day. Did they cause a difference in how I lived my life. Yes. I believe that I looked at things much differently than I would have and in that I feel that some of my outlook on life changed.

Does who said it make a difference? No! It doesn't matter if the person or persons are close to you or not, words can still cut like a knife no matter who is wielding it.

How soon in life does this start to effect people. I believe from the beginning. No matter how young you are, words still have the power to hurt. You never know what will be the one to stick.

Some people take great pride in the fact that they like to speak their minds no matter the fallout. While I think that is great in some situations, it's not great in all situations. Criticizing does not help.

My daddy has always told us kids "if you can't say nothing nice, don't say anything at all". How much nicer this world would be if only everyone lived by that rule.

But this is just my opinion.....

1 comment:

sissie said...

yes I have known pain and yes the words still hurt to this day!

hugs
sissie