Monday, March 31, 2008

Garden is Planted!

This year instead of one garden, we did two. We did 1/4 acre here near the house and another 1/4 acre over at the farm. We got all the seeds planted and will set the plants next weekend. We planted Silver Queen corn ( $12.00 a pound!, can you believe it!), Blackeye peas, Blue Lake Green beans, Pink eye Purple Hull peas, Jubilee watermelons ( I wanted Greys but got out voted on this one), Okra, Yellow Crook-necked squash and finally for Mimi, Valencia peanuts. We've never tried peanuts before so we are hoping these won't be to hard to do.

Shelby and I are going to use settings for our tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers and bellpeppers. We also have seeds for onions, leeks and various herbs for our herb garden. Shelby has a very nice one going.

Here is a pic of the Parsley she has in the herb garden. They are doing really good.


This is the Basil. She also has Rosemary, Thyme, and Mint.

This next set of photos I took out at the farm yesterday.



I came upon this snake in the garden. Luckily for me he was already dead. It's a "Central Florida Crown Snake and is harmless (to himself maybe but not to me!). You can see that he was in the process of molting. I'm assuming he was run over by the tractor.


Just another shot of a fence post and don't worry I will spare the rest of them. But I really liked this one.




Found this Gopher out by the garden. We have two of them there so I'm sure my garden will be well protected ("wink, wink"). Obviously he won't go hungry.




Rosie and Bear decided to check him out. Rosie would have gone on down in there if Franke hadn't grabbed her and pulled her out. She has no fear when she is curious.

So that is my update for now. Today will be slow and lazy. Frank is home sick and I've pulled my back again so we will take it easy.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

sissie said...

good luck with your garden! John and hunter have started ours up here also and I am NOT looking forward to it!! They have gone bigger and of course I am the one that gets to do all the shelling YUCK!!
Peanut needs to bring her butt up here and help me LOL

windy said...

Well the herbs are looking good. Hope yall have lots of luck with the gardens. I don't think I have ever seen a snake like that. Oh devan would love to see the gopher turtle.